Mercedes delivers first electric ambulance to Sweden
- Written by : Ashton G. Curran
- Date Published : 2023-03-30
- Date Updated : 2023-03-30
- Category / Tag : mercedes
Since the end of last month, a Mercedes eVito has been rolling as a transport ambulance from Järfälla.
- We wanted to try electric operation in practice to learn how it really works in our business, says Torbjörn Kanfjäll, who is CEO of the ambulance company Samariten AB.
The electric ambulance is built by Profile Ambulances and has, among other things, an elevated lift.
It is a so-called transport ambulance that is used for planned transports between different care facilities.
It is always staffed with at least one ambulance paramedic and nurse with specialist training.
The electric ambulance has blue lights and a siren and is also used on emergency missions of the prio 1 and prio 2 type.
It is really nice to drive, It is so quiet and it is possible to have significantly less loud conversations with the patient, says Josefin Ekerstrand who is Samariten's station manager in Järfälla.
Colleague Stefan Mellberg agrees: It has completely different driving characteristics as well.
Acceleration is both stronger and smoother and without the whirring engine noise.
You really feel like you're getting away, says Stefan.
The range is approximately 32 miles in the standard version and the ambulance is always charged when it is at the station.
Josefin says that she has not experienced any problems with the range.
Torbjörn Kanfjäll believes that electric ambulances can also be suitable for emergency calls.
Transport ambulances often cover more miles per drive than emergency ambulances.
- If the hospitals had fast chargers at the ambulance intakes, we would have been able to handle most of the charging needs while we hand over the patients, concludes Torbjörn Kanfjäll.